Air VPN seems well liked by its customers. They don’t have a refund policy or a focus on customer service, but do offer a 3 day trial for 1 Euro, which would be worth taking up before committing to anything. They are an Italian VPN provider, proudly set up by ‘activists and hacktivists in defence of net neutrality, privacy and against censorship’ in 2010, and is still going strong. Their website is focused on practicality over UX but there seems no reason to doubt their security. They have no logging, which is good for your security and means that no one can get your data – you don’t actually need to enter any personal details to access AirVPN which is rare, and good – it seems to be one of the most anonymous VPN services out there. They don’t focus on having a good-looking website or on any frills, but as far as anonymity in a VPN goes, this is probably your one.
Quick Feature Guide:
- Free trial period
- Unlimited bandwidth and downloads
- Supports simultaneous connections
- Good customer support
- No logs
- Accepts cryptocurrencies
- Supports P2P
- Multiple protocols supported
- High speed and reliable
Pros of using AirVPN:
- Reliable: AirVPN has an ok number of servers. It has around 80 servers distributed across 16 countries
- No logs: It maintains user’s complete privacy by not maintaining any logs. Additionally, it is fully compliant with the European Union directives which protect your privacy: Directive on Data Protection (95/46/EC) and Directive concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy (2002/58/EC)
- Kill-Switch: It effectively implements kill switch mechanism to avoid user’s data being exposed over the internet in case of a VPN breakdown
- Simultaneous connections: AirVPN support 5 devices per license
- Free trial: They provide a customizable 3-day trial period on request
- Speed: It provides good bandwidth reaching up to 4 Mbit/s upload and download
- Encryption: Supports strong encryption. It has 4096 bit RSA keys size, AES-256 CBC Data channel, HMAC SHA1 control channel
- Perfect Forward Secrecy: Through Diffie-Hellman key exchange DHE. After the initial key negotiation, re-keying is performed every 60 minutes (this value can be lowered unilaterally by the client). This ensures security over long duration connections
- Multiple platforms: AirVPN supports multiple platforms such as Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, dd-wrt, tomato and other routers
- Transparency: The policies are transparent over bandwidth allocation in order to give you an exact evaluation of the performance you can achieve. Ensures no overbooking and no overselling
- Forwarded Port: It has the capability to maintain forward ports. This is helpful when you want a service running behind the VPN. For example, suppose that you want to run a web server behind the VPN, or that you wish to receive incoming connections to your BitTorrent client in order to improve p2p performance, or to seed a file. Without at least one remotely forwarded port, your service would not be reached from the outside, because the VPN server would reject the proper packets to your service. So when you remotely forward a port, AirVPN servers will open that port (TCP, UDP or both, according to your selection) and will properly forward incoming packets to you on that port. You can forward up to 20 ports simultaneously. This also has a Dynamic DNS option available.
- Multi-support: AirVPN offers OpenVPN on ports 80 TCP / UDP, 443 TCP / UDP and 53 TCP / UDP. Additionally, every Air server supports directly OpenVPN over SSH, OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over Tor
- Bypass: It can effectively bypass censorship restrictions
- Payment options: Supports multiple payment options including bitcoins
- Knowledge Base: The website provides good knowledge base with an explanation of several concepts and “how to begin” guides. Additionally, has video demo.
It has 5 different pricing options.
|Number of months||Pricing||Additional Benefits|
|3 days||$1.24||This can be made as a trial period on request with a money-back guarantee|
|1 month||$8.66 per month||No specific benefit|
|3 months||$18.56 for three months.||About $6.19 per month. You save 28%|
|6 months||$37.13 for 6 months||About $6.19 per month. You save 28%|
|1 year||$66.83 for 12 months||About $5.57 per month. You save 35%|
Pay in Crypto- AirVPN accept Bitcoin
Cons of using AirVPN:
- Limited countries supported as compared to its competitors
- Difficult to use for novice users
AirVPN was initially started as a project in 2010 and had completely free services. It is a compact and extremely capable VPN. Initially, AirVPN had two dedicated servers in one country and was operated by Iridium, who have been in operation since 1998. Iridium ran AirVPN until November 2012, after which all the handling was progressively transferred to a dedicated company (Air).